Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site
The Polyphonics OFFICIAL Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take the money and run...to Texas.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index -> Band Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tishtosh
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. The Polyphonics 2000?-2004 Reply with quote

I’m still in a state of shock that I won’t be able to see The Polyphonics play anymore. I was actually hoping to see a new gig date on the website not a remembrance post. An era has definitely ended.

Looking back...I don’t remember how I started going to your gigs. I’ve known Jeff and Pat for about 9 years, but our real friendships started many years after those summer perc sectionals and “Morcheeba”. All I know is that I wanted to go out and show some support for my friends. Somewhere during the process I became a fan of not only the group but also the music.

Pat- If someone had told me that you would be a person that I would actually keep in touch with after high school I wouldn’t have believed them. We are so opposite but yet I seem to understand you...sometimes. I always loved our late night conversations about random things, arguing with you, and telling you how wrong you are. What can I say? I’ve always had a thing for drummers. Yeah it’s too bad “we could never get married”.

Jeff- Being the only guy in our melody clique must have been hard but I couldn’t have imagined it any other way. You always gave me a fresh new perspective on everything. You are a truly gifted person with a great heart to back it up. I can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with next. I loved watching our transformation from little shy frosh to adults with better clothes. By the way...”nice pants”.

Jon and Vance- I wish I had gotten to know you two like I knew your bandmates. But I always considered you as my friends as you introduced me into your souls with your music. That sounds so incredibly cheesy but I truly felt something with every note that was played and every word that was sung. “Say” and “El Scorcho” ALWAYS put a smile on my face. I wish you two the best of luck with all your future endeavors.

To the band and fans: You guys introduced me to a whole new genre of music that I probably wouldn’t have found on my own and for that I’m extremely grateful. Although sometimes I felt like I didn’t belong, you always seemed to welcome me “the mainstream music listener”. Thanks.

-Stephanie

“...I know I’ll see you again.”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Odine
PolyRoadie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my follow up. Though I don't know who Heather is (I suppose I should? lol).

I fought with Jon before he left, for a few hours. I confronted him over other reasons besides him leaving but also due to his leave and how he handled it. We talked it over, and he explained his side of it. I felt heaps better and I understand. BUT, though I now understand, that's one out of MANY friends that don't. No matter how you tell them, they still won't, until it comes out of his mouth. I completely disagree with how he handled it, but i'm not resentful about it anymore due to our conversations.

My reasoning was this. As a friend for 7-8 years, he owed me at the VERY least some sort of honesty. Some of you may not see friendships the way I do, but in order to sustain a decent one, honesty has to be there. The biggest feeling we've felt, is betrayal, as a friend/bandmate whatever. The "as friends, you should support him" statement is more like saying, you got served shit, smile while you swallow it. For the people that weren't told, weren't invited to his going away shindig, didn't have the slightest clue except through word of mouth, they have every right to be pissed. The fact is, whether or not they would give him crap for leaving doesn't matter, as a friend they should have been given that chance. I believe, had he proved to them he was serious, he would have gotten a better response than expected.

As for you Heather, as Vance said, you're on the other side of the fence. Just like Nick, who decided to give me shit for not going to the going away party that NICK invited me to, not Jon. Until you're on the other side of the fence you can't possibly understand. Didn't mean this as a personal attack, just felt your post was pointing fingers saying "shame on you", and it wasn't appreciated.

Now, after i've talked to Jon, I wished him the best of luck, and I harbor no ill thoughts towards him even if I disagree with how he handled this. As for the rest of you who never were given the chance to talk to him, you have every right to feel whatever way you want. I think the saddest part of this entire ordeal is that he lost so many friends. The fuck him mentality is rather disheartening to see, especially from the closest of his friends.

It's over now, my only hopes are that once he gets settled, he gives a ring down to each individual he kinda screwed over. I know most will say they don't care, but for anyone that valued Jon's friendship, you'll feel heaps better.

I hardly consider this a Jon bashing thread, and I could never see it go that route. The only route it can go, is for everyone to get how they feel. Jeff started it that way, and people are finishing it that way. He will be missed, sadly the final week is where I learned the most about him, and not due to his actions.

Justin
Jephonics
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who could have imagined such an outpouring? I didn't.

Jon's departure is a complex issue. Now that i know what I know, the whole situation makes more sense. Because he cares about his friends, he did not (at least I am guessing) want to tell them that he was leaving no matter what. If he would have told at least the band that he was leaving, we would not have talked him out of it.

The polyphonics have been dead for a long time. We just didn't want to close the door on the wake. We started playing together when we were 15 and 16 years old. That is a world apart from where we are now. People change and get older, sadly. Even when we first started playing, I thought we were the best band around. Upon listening to some of those tapes I have realized this wasn’t true. Over the past year, I stopped believing that we were the best. The shows were looser, parts were forgotten, solos were missed and the guys who played the songs became just that…guys playing the songs and no longer a tight unit of musical assassins.

Sometimes I think it was the second cd that was our undoing. We stalled writing until we “finished the cd.” The last song we wrote was looking for edith and that was fall 2002. We had other ideas but no one seemed interested.

Jon-wherever you are reading these posts partly about you partly about the band. I hope you don’t perceive my post as bashing. I never intended it to be malicious, only reflective. In reality, I think I was more of an ally than an enemy. I remember having guitar practices with you every once and a while. You would show me a song and we would work on it for a while and get a good rough outline. When it came time to show you my song you lost interest. I was ok with that because I knew that I could work up a song with the band a little better than you. Remember on September 11th when we wrote 5 minute goodbye and friendship? Many times people did not understand what you were getting at. I tried to help you figure those things out. I even tried to help you with college papers and other academic stuff. My phone never rang though. What do I know? Maybe you didn’t ask me for help because I made you feel stupid.

No hard feelings though. Like I said before none of it matters anyway to anyone…maybe someone. Every man must decide his own fate. At your father’s funeral I came across many emotions I had not felt for some time. I felt like we were fifteen again just barely knowing each other. I looked at the pictures of your father and I felt sad. I fought back tears for unknown reasons. I knew about your difficult relationship with your dad and I didn’t know what to say to you. What was the right thing to say? Nobody knows.

We have been unknowingly competitive for the life of the band. The tension always existed between you and me. We wondered whose song would get worked on. You wanted to sing more and I wanted us to sing equally. I wanted what was best for the band. May be that is why I didn’t tell you to quit after the starbucks show.

I have been rambling for awhile now I should stop.

Jeff Hughes
SivaLuna
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as most of you know, things have been going down in my life in the past week that have me questioning myself too. I can completely understand Jon's position on this. I think it just might be the age we are all (for the most part) approaching. It's a time to finally say goodbye to high school, and carefree days, and big dreams. It's a time to realize that you don't have to cling to the past, that the future looks mighty fine too. It's a time to grow as people. And it is very scary. It's one of the hardest things to do, to finally detach yourself from everything that is comfortable and familiar and take that first step towards who you know you can be. And I think, over the next couple years, a lot of us will be going through this. So I guess I just want to pre-emptively ask each of you that when you start feeling this way, please, don't run away. We're all here for each other, in every way. I've never met such great people in my life. I believe each one of you would fight for one another, because we care about each other so fiercely. Cheesy? Yes, but I don't want to lose each of you one by one. Things will definitely change over the next couple of years, but maybe we'll grow to be even closer.

Pat: I don't know why you are scared of me, but I am scared of you. I think we've spoken a total of 10 words to each other since I met you. I'm not sure why we avoid each other so much, but Vance thinks you're great, so you must be.

Jeff: Kind of the same thing. Remember how we actually first met, when 'someone', for whatever crazy reason, decided to start some stupidness between me and your ex girlfriend in high school. What a strange ordeal that was... I wish we would have talked more too, but I think that person may have ruined our chance at a great friendship.

Vance: What to say. I think everyone knows how I feel about you, so there's not much point in this one, but...as a musician I think you are great too. I was amazed to learn that you wrote a couple of the songs that I loved the best from the band. I will miss trying to make you laugh while you were playing a show. I will miss you counting ceiling tiles at shows too, that was the cutest thing I've seen in my life.

Jon: I don't know what to say to you either. From my above post, you must know that I don't harbor any ill feelings towards you. I'm actually proud of you for having the courage to take that first step. I know how hard it was, and whether you believe it or not, we are all standing behind you, and always will. I feel like you and I were always one little baby step away from being friends, and I don't know what was holding us back. Just a strange feeling. I will miss you.

Okay, I've been pensive enough for now. Keep posting people, we need closure!

Michele
mister
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well, I don't know enough about Jon leaving to chime in on that, so I won't. I'll stick to just bringing back some old school Community / Delegates / Polyphonics memories.

I remember the first show I went to. I think I helped you guys transport some equipment in my bigass van. The show was in downtown Rochester, and once we had everything loaded up we headed downtown. Once we got about 10 miles north of the city we had realized that maybe we passed the coffee house. I think it was that show where I got to get up and play Verve Pipe - Freshman with you guys. Boy, did I suck. All I know is I was hooked from that point on.

Do you guys remember the I-Rock, deep in the heart of ghetto? You guys played on the same stage either a day before or after Nazareth played! "Now you're messin with a .. SONOFABITCH!" (needs more cowbell)

I remember downloading mp3s and doing weird ghetto remixes of the songs.

I also remember when you guys played with that band who shot dirty underwear and other random things out into the crowd. Every song was the same, and one was called "I Can't Believe the I-Rock Has Let Us Play This Long" or something.

I loved the feeling after the shows where all I could think was "Damn, those were some really awesome songs." I'd be humming them for days, and still do whenever I hear them. You guys wrote some amazing songs, and its a shame that they won't ever be played live again.

Of course, there were the shows that sucked. We knew it. You guys knew it. But, you still came back and wowed us a few weeks (or in some cases, months) later. The new songs always left us with a good feeling, always wanting more. It seemed like every show there was someone new there singing along. That right there is a big accomplishment, and you guys should be proud of that.

Anyway, it's a shame that it had to end. I know you all had/have other bands you've been playing with, so keep us all informed of when you have shows. I'll be there, if I can make it. You guys are each awesome people, awesome musicians and it's been a pleasure listening to and hanging out with you guys for so many years.

Good luck in whatever you guys do.

Brandon

P.S. I still say you should've re-done Mosquito.

P.P.S. Was there a recording of the Orkin Man? You should release that, too.

the first ever Polyphonics fan site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Buddha
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so I sound a lil angry in this post but I had read just about all of the posts before I went to work and thought about most of it all day long so here is my rant.

Quote:
an escape he very much needed from an ordeal a 23 year old should never have to endure. Upon his return, he raved about the place - a place completely free of what had recently become painful memories and also void of bothersome family members who were dragging those memories to the forefront with increasing frequency.

If you say that Jon left to "escape" memories being brought up about his father than he went the total wrong direction. I my self lost my mother 3 days before jon lost his father. I know there is in no way to have those feelings of remourse ever leave. To run could even bring that pain more as you dont have your family there for support. During the funeral for my mother I gathered what was pretty close to all of my firends and told them that they too were part of my family as I needed them as much as anyone else in my family. It seemed that the entire group said the same, that we would all be there for eachother. With this I would say that all of my firends are now brothers and sisters to me. I am closer to many of them than some of my family members and at one point I would say Jon too except this shows me at some points maybe he didnt feel the same for all of us.

I told Jon this again the day before he left when I talked to him on the phone. I wouldnt have talked to him for the fact of me being out with our friend jenny and her boyfriend calling her. He hadnt called me or talked to me probably a month but the worst part was 2 weeks before he left we had a Party he was there knew his plans already but didnt tell anyone at that time he was going.

I know Jon didnt get to know his father all that well over the years and that may be one of the reasons for him leaving maybe him tryig to figure out just what part of him was like his father. Its obvious that there was a part of his father in him by the way Jon could be so passionate about his music.

Maybe after everything is said and done Jon moving may be the best thing to ever happen to him. He may find him self, and become the man he wants to be. We all just wish that he would have expected us to treat him with the care we treat everyone in the fact that his choices are his choices. Jon didnt tell me his plan for while he was in texas but I know he wanted to go to school for quite some time and I hope he does get to do that. I would love to turn on the radio or TV one day and find out that Jon is rocking out harder than we had ever seen him before. I wish Jon teh best for what ever he does and will miss him like a brother for he was part of "our" family.

--Ed

Bethy is my hero.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jaded
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this is just the beginning to the polyphonics...who knows maybe jon will become famous in texas...wow what a good band name famous in texas..
and the rest of the polyphonics will become minions of the Babys Having Babies, that is if Katrina and Beth let me borrow Vance and Brandon every once in a while. i wish the best for jon in his venture into the deep south, i know you have to follow your heart and what you believe in and obviously members of the polyphonics can relate because that is what makes a band.
Anyways my short coming with the polyphonics (since this past november) has brought more to me then going to the bar getting shit faced and listening to a band that was pretty damn good. I don't think without the polyphonics i would be where i am today. Sorry guys your songs really never touched me in that special way that makes you want to run home and cry in your pillow.
But ive gotten to know some great people that i am really honored to know. I honestly don't know if i would have these close friends if it wasn't for the polyphonics. So thanx guys for rocking and creating memories that i will cherish forever...or until i get the babies having babys started and rock your freakin sox off..
DJ Cheddar
INVENTOR OF ROCK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone..... you all are waitin for my reply to all these posts... well here I am.

I truly never meant to stir up a controversy but it seems inevitiable, the only thing I can say for upsetting everyone is I'm sorry.

There are so many things I have to make a rebutle to on this post, but I don't think I can make them all... I left because I am unhappy with my life, to the point to where I may become something I've been truly working on NOT becoming. And I can't sit here an express enough how alot of these posts are just flat out selfish, it was always me, me, me with most of my friends, and yes I said MOST- not all, of my friends.... I never truly felt like anyone ever cared about ME as a person.. more like everyone gave me the impression that i was the druggie, the fuck-up, the annoying one who won't shut up, etc etc etc... (and again this does not pertain to only the people on this forum, hell it really isn't many of you at all, it's other friends i held for the most part) but for the ones on this forum, i think you know if you qualify for that or not, just think about who i am to you, and then you'll know if you're one of em..............

(now im on a computer at the library and may be kicked off so i am gonna post again.....
INVENTOR OF ROCK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... ok.... and please, don't make up reasons to make yourself look like you never felt that way about me, I'm not stupid, I can understand tones of voices and actions of each person. it's very easy to feel like you're not welcome in a conversation or an idea, when you're being the moron, you know what, looking at what I just typed, i will gladly say that was pointed mostly at the band as a whole.

To the band I say this, for the last 8 years I have always had the dream of becoming something- and by that i mean, one year of touring... maybe a one-hit wonder, something!!! I've worked and worked and worked to get us gigs, writing as many songs as possible, and give us publicity, always talking to our fans and giving out cds, was that wrong? becasue when it came down to it, you all hated the fact that I would give cds out- but as i said before, how are people ever gonna know who we are??? And i always came up with ideas to make us us more appealling to people, to make us more fun, but everytime i'd say it, you'd all say "that's dumb Jon" or "that's retarded Jon" (see where i get the "you're stupid" image from???) The band was MY LIFE for 8 years and if you ask anyone, they will tell you that was all i ever talked about..... but still i never recieved full respect from any of you, I mean come on, who cares about a person who works their ass off for something and gets ignored by the very people he is doing it for!?!?!. And, how many songs have i written that were just forgotten about?? i could honestly say about a cd's worth... no joke... So when you say the money thing pisses you all off, well screw you... cuz I figure I deserve at least that, because of the phone calls, all the driving to places, and all the publicity i did for the four of us... I earned that money more than any of you.. if anyone deserves the next big chunk i would have to say it is Jeff that gets it, because he supplied the recording equipment, he supplied the place to play and he drove our stuff to every gig... in all honesty me and Jeff deserve at least 35% of that money each... pat and vance you get the rest.

Jeff- by the way. the whole Julie thing was never a passive-whatever you said thing, yeah I was attracted to Amanda, that was high school buddy. But Julie, we hung out for a long time before making a relationship out of us... only time will tell if we survive together, but for now, I love her.. she's not as bad as you make her out to be.....

ok.... well again this computer wants to kick me off, so i will be back.....
INVENTOR OF ROCK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... now the last post, i have to say this, Vance- you knew this move to Texas was coming, i dont really know how you figured it out, but you knew, and you confronted me about it at the halo party, and for once i have to say that you did not once give me a hard time about it, and for that I thank you, and it made me respect you more as a friend.

But, this is why i never really told anyone... because of the notority of everyone always telling me not to do something, instead of fully-backing me and understanding my decision.... instead of telling everyone i felt it would be much more easier to just plan it all out, and then have all my friends come out with me before i go so i could tell everyone and everyone would understand, but i look back and totally understand that that was the wrong way to do it. Believe me when i say that i am extremely hurt that my close freinds denied me the fairness of coming out with me that night and allowing me to say goodbye for now to them.... BUT i truly regret the way that I handled it all and i do ask for all of your forgiveness in this matter..... Justin, Ed, Joel, Brandon, Vance, Mike, Tim, Jenny, Katrina, Beth, Darren, Michelle, .... I'm Sorry.

But again also realize that I am truly truly unhappy with life..... this whole thing... and im not tryin to escape everything, hell i will tell you, everything down here is not peachy-king either.. i still have no job.. BUT i am putting myself in a situation that forces me to grow up finally and become a man and live my life and succeed.. when i'm up there with you all.. yeah it's a blast! we have awesome times and beleive me not a day has not gone by that i have not wished that someone could come over and play halo, or drink some beers, or go out to the mall, anything, but thats my life now and i'm doin this on my own instead of relying on others to show me the way, i was way too easily distracted by other things up there, here its just me and julie...... and if i fail, i fail, but i just hope i have some friends left that don't hate me if i do....... i never meant to walk away without saying goodbye... im sorry if this all sounds selfish, but i never felt like i had a non-selfish friend either....

i still love everyone for all their support with the band (katie, Ana, Stephanie, Cara, Brandon, etc etc.... EVERYONE)

And i miss you all... i just hope you can all forgive me for acting the way i did...

Last edited by DJ Cheddar on Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DngrsDrrn
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

In my opinion, you dont owe anyone an apology for anything (sorry, everyone). It is in fact your life, and 5-10 years from now, anyone who would still be milling over the fact you left and didn't say goodbye has much bigger problems that the fact it even happened.

the one thing I don't understand however, was why you would tell someone and then say "but dont tell anyone". I remembered when you told me at some point and then hearing it from another person. So much for secrets huh? I know that you wanted everyone to find out, and this end result that we're witnessing right here was what also wanted. You wanted people to make a big deal over you.

My cousin did the same thing as you are now. In his situation he wasn't doing anything, he had just been laid off of work because the place closed down, and he wasn't going to school. He needed a change of scenery new surroundings and everything else. He left his family, his friends, everything he knew just for a fresh start. Sure I didn't want him to go, and I missed him because he was my best friend, but then I sat down and realized how selfish I was being. I was thinking of how much my life was going to change without him around and I didn't like that. Once I realized that he needed the change for the better, then things were a lot better for the both of us, and in the 2 years he's been there he's definitely matured and changed for the better.

It's really a bummer that this all had to be taken so personally by some, but like you said, it's partially the selfishness of them liking their lives the way it is and not liking change I suppose. As cheesy as it sounds, it sorta reminds me of that parable Jesus told...the prodigal son. At any rate, whether you come back someday or you don't I'm still your friend. But if you do come back, you have to suck my dick. Nick has you saying so on camera. So maybe you really shouldn't come back.
ADMIN OF DOOM!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DngrsDrrn wrote:
But if you do come back, you have to suck my dick. Nick has you saying so on camera. So maybe you really shouldn't come back.

hahahaha, nice
DJ Cheddar
INVENTOR OF ROCK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye damn right Darren! lol
INVENTOR OF ROCK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to say this though....

Thank you to all of you for the memories. Like Vance said, we had our shows that made us feel like rock stars, and we had our shows that made us feel like street bums tryin to earn a quarter. but all-in-all, I will miss the performing aspect, the moronic dancing i made myself do... there was nothin like gettin up on stage and playing for lots o' people and having the chance to get out frustration, and enjoy it by having fun.... Maybe Joel, maybe i will start a band called Famous in Texas down here, and when we strike it big, I'll make sure you get first thanks in my speech.

And Brandon- you hit every good memory! Making you the most interested fan ever. I really appreciated everything you did for us, and I'm glad to hear you say we rocked! i hope everything in your future ends up the best for you, good luck and thank you.

p.s. keep those new band links comin to me, when i get back online i expect to see a bunch of new bands to check out!! hehe...

(and p.p.s. i did re-write Mosquito- but no one wanted to listen)

and p.p.p.s.- The Orkin Man song shall remain like Jimmy Hoffa.. never to be found............

ttyl all....
PolyRoadie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DngrsDrrn wrote:
Jon,

In my opinion, you dont owe anyone an apology for anything (sorry, everyone). It is in fact your life, and 5-10 years from now, anyone who would still be milling over the fact you left and didn't say goodbye has much bigger problems that the fact it even happened.

Not to start anything, as I don't really value apologies anyways, especially when something is done that the person knows is wrong (in this case the way it was done). When you have 8 years of a friendship with someone and they tip toe around your back, regardless of what reason, it's betrayal. A break of trust, which is key for a friendship. You know how it feels, we've done it to each other. Sometimes an apology is needed .

Though I agree Jon has no reason to apologize for leaving, just the way he did it. While he may not have to, it's his choice to weigh what friends he'd like to keep or not.

Hopefully this thread will die now, And Jon, since Rita forgot to tell you. I had surgery last tuesday, still recovering, 8 days and counting . So perhaps i'll get back to you when i'm feeling better. It fukin sux.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index -> Band Stuff All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: