Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site
The Polyphonics OFFICIAL Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take the money and run...to Texas.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index -> Band Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jephonics
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Take the money and run...to Texas. Reply with quote

In light of recent events, I have pondered over the many years I have had the pleasure to play music with those gentlemen named Vance, Pat and Jon. Yes, I get a little sad when I drive by a place we played, and let me tell you they sure do rack up after eight years.

I began to think about my relationships to each of my band-mates. Here are some thoughts best put in words. Honestly and truly from my heart.

Vance—You were part of a two for one deal. You and Jon came together ultimately to replace Eric and Mike. Yet you proved to be an irreplaceable and priceless addition to our group.

You are a deep thinker who I have always admired for your musical insights as well as your understanding of what makes music strong, complex and appealing. Remember the day we wrote “Blue”? or how about when we wrote “Say”? Those were good times.

My only regret is that I didn’t get to know you as well as I should have. I always felt a distance between the two of us, maybe because you always rode to gigs with Jon and I with Pat. Where this distance or space arises from I do not know. I can only recognize its existence and deal with it. I hope to continue my relationship with you in whatever form it takes.

Patrick—My musical ties to you almost took on a new skin, but low and behold life has gotten in the way and that plan is quickly vaporizing. I have enjoyed many a talk over a steak and shake grilled cheese with your great company. Politics, books, art, music, technology, religion. Ethics, and many other sultry categories were often our topics of preference.

I remember a long time ago in the early days of the community I called you after a miserable practice and told you I was quitting the band. I think you convinced me to stay a little longer. I am glad that I did.

I hope you never move away. How else will we organize our political campaign.
Hughes-Herbst 2020 (the common sense party)

Jon—Sometimes I sit back and laugh at how things turn out. I always thought I would quit the band first. I remember the time after the Starbucks show that you said you were going to quit. Sometimes I wonder why I didn’t tell you to quit. Clearly the greatest tension was between the two of us. Why did I elect to keep you around?

I am not surprised that you have shacked up with an ex-girlfiriend of mine. You had told me once how you had wanted to date Amanda Noble my other ex-girlfriend. I do not understand your motivation for these actions, I hope they are not passive-aggressive attempts to embody resentment for me. You had a smirk on your face the day you told me you were dating Julie. I remember being angry. What made me the most angry was that you trusted her over me and I felt as though I was being betrayed by a brother. Does this sound right?

Yet, I cannot dwell on the past. What’s done is done and in the end none of it matters anyhow. Like smoke, the past rises up into the sky until it is but a shade on some far away cloud.

I guess I will conclude now. Thank you all for being there and paying dollars to see us play. You were the most important members of the polyphonics. It is safe to say that the polyphonics will never play together again. What is the point really? Your memories are always there for you to think back on. I hope you have enjoyed my overly romanticized version of reality. I hope it isn’t to sappy; it is very late.

Signing off from POLYPHONICA

Jeffrey Hughes
[/b]
Katrina
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your insights are appreciated, Jeff, and I for one have been changed indefinetly by the Polyphonics and the memories I have with all of them. I'm glad you aren't afraid to speak your truths.

Last edited by Katrina on Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Buddha
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with katrina jeff. It is good to hear you speak about it. I asked vance about it and we had our discussion and I have said my piece to just about everyone I even talked to jon the day before he left or so and heard his side of it. I dont agree with they way he did leave and I told him that. I also told him it wouldnt have been my place to tell him not to go. He had been talking about leaving for a LONG time I (we) just didnt think he would go.
I'll miss him like a family member as alot of my friends have become over the last year and a half or so.

Bethy is my hero.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jephonics
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind hearing Jon's side of it. He never told me. Although I should have put it all together that he was leaving when hes started pulling out his troops.
NyQuil Driver
The MADministrator!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really quite bummed to see The Polyphonics end. I mean, I can see why it has to end, but I'll miss it. But obviously you guys are an important part of the equation and it sounds like you're ready to move on. Which is understandable, so am I to a degree. It's just kind of sad, it was a big part of my life and who I am. We also had a nice catalog of songs, if I do say so myself, which is disappointing to just lose.

We've had a lot of ups and downs. After a great show it really felt like getting signed really wasn't too far off. And after a disappointing show you could cut the tension with a knife... everyone questioning why we're doing this. But I think the good times made up for the bad.

Yesterday I was cleaning out my dresser, getting rid of some old beat up T-shirts and came across the Polyphonics T... it was sad. We've had a good run, 8-9 years is a long time by any (local) band standards. At the beginning, if someone had told me that we'd have 1 CD out, a T-shirt, and on the cusp of a second CD I wouldn't have believed them. It started out as just fucking around in Pat's cat piss smelling basement.... I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, I guess just that we've come a long way. Needless to say the polyphonics t-shirt is stored away for prosperity.

I don't really know how to end this. I guess all I can say is thanks to everyone involved, there's a lot of great memories I have from it.

Vance

Sic Transit Gloria - Glory Fades - I'm Max Fischer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DngrsDrrn
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first time I ever saw the Polyphonics play. It was at the Wired Frog back in 98. The only reason I ever heard of you guys was cuz of Brandon and the only reason I met all of you (except for a few folks that I went to elementary school with or Trinity with) was because of Brandon and also through the Polyphonics.

I still have my one single Polyphonics t-shirt which I will wear with pride and a flyer or two from way back. I can honestly say with all sincerety that I will miss watching you guys, singing along to the songs, doing my little "woo-ha" during Say (I remember when that started also, and to think it didn't involve alcohol...), all the times I dreamed of a cover of Holiday (which one day you finally fulfilled the dream of a small town suburban boy), the times we all hung out after the shows, the concerts with the polyphonics members, the sing-a-longs because we all knew all the words, and last but certainly not least, the energy and ferocity at which you guys would just attack your instruments and scream your vocals. These are memories that I will never forget for as long as I live...
PolyRoadie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, and this isn't news to Vance, I thought you guys sucked for a long time. Though I still showed up to pretty much every gig I could possibly attend... why? Well frankly, i'm kinda a loser if anyone hadn't noticed (though i'm doubting that).

As years went by tho I caught myself singing the songs, and at some point I actually started looking forward to going (even before booze entered the scenario). One of two things happened. I suffered from what I like to call "They Might Be Giants Syndrome", or you folks just started really kicking ass together. I can safely say it's the latter. Especially the past 4-5 years, where you were really coming into your own. It felt like you guys found your niche of music and were really starting to feel it... and perfect it. I'm saddened that the Polyphonics are retiring. I'm also PISSED that there wasn't one last ROCK OUT with you guys .

It's cool though, i'm not going to bring any negative thoughts into this. Some things just don't turn out the way they should. You guys will be missed, but at least we still have you as friends . I wish you luck (especially Jeff and Pat, whom I prolly won't see anymore, at least rarely), with whatever you do. And as always Vance, you suck... bad.

Justin
Loyal Groupie
(My name was on the CD... pwnt!!). lol drrn, i'm jking .
Beefer
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Change is constant..... Reply with quote

I really will miss the Polyphonics. I felt like I was actually starting to talk to Pat and Jeff (probably because of our co-existing friendships with Katrina maybe, maybe) And having dated half the band I really thought I would get a chance to make it 100%. I really will miss everyone getting together at the shows, and they were normally very good ones to watch.

I honestly think that you will all go on to bigger and better things, I mean look at all that you now have under your belt. Good Luck and I hope you keep everyone informed on you goings on.

Jeff- quiet, tight pants wearin', talented musician = all around sexy biotch
I remember I met Sean O'brien whie he was eating bugs out of your pool, and in your basement eric la pratt biting his shirt, and bringing you all pizza when I worked at Domino's. I never understood how you dated Julie anyhow, but then again I dated jon and tony hennigan so it just goes to show, that people often make very bad decisions in who they date, right?

Pat- You kick butt drummer, you really got me thinking when we had our conversations, like the one on old people being weird and what we are gonna end up like. I hope that you do get to travel all over, but that we still get to see you rock out, or at least talk to you every once and a while. Everyone loved the cheese song, it was like a special little treat that you would dangle in front of our noses to keep us coming back.

Vance- My little stinky pants. Oh the many good times we have had making fun of jon, what will we do now? I totally wanted you to sing more, but you wouldn't. But I loved being able to see you just get crazy on your bass anyhow. So I can't get enough of the smell and I am glad that you are in our grampa band now. I love ya

Jon- Like my little brother who always makes the same mistakes over and over, never learning your lessons. Not being upfront and honest with your friends and band members was a bad move. But anyways I enjoyed watching the sweat get in your eyes when you rocked out on stage. You were always entertaining. Good Luck.

To All My Fellow Groupies- I OFFICIALLY DATED HALF THE BAND
(don't be jealous, I just win that is all)

Love you all
Drama Queen
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess it's my turn to say something here.....

Being one half of the POLYpeptides I have these thoughts to share with you.

I have enjoyed every minute of being a "groupie"/POLYpeptide for the band. I liked going to the shows and seeing all the fans and friends there to cheer on their favorite local band. I would like to think that I was getting to know some of you better.

I first met Jon 4-5 yrs. ago thanks to Nick - - I found out that Jon was in a band and so I went to my first show and the rest is history - - I have been to almost everyone there after..I would bring my other friends and they soon found themselves digging the music. One of them even managed the band for a bit and one of my friends designed the incert for the Horse CD......

I have done some crazy stuff at the POLY shows - -anyone remember the I heart.....shirts??? And I'm the girl that would always scream out POLYPHONICS DOT NET!!!!!!........ So basically what I am trying to say here in this somewhat rambleing, not making sence babble is that I will miss the POLYPHONICS bunches and I also wish them the best of luck in whatever they do.........

Kate

P.S I have family in TEXAS so if anyone wants to go and knock some sence into Jon - there is a place for you to stay......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
brotherKen
PolyNewb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Jon's departure Reply with quote

After reading the other posts about Jon's departure from the Polyphonics, many of which are implicitly or explicitly negative toward Jon, I feel I need to share my feelings about the issue. Jon first went to Texas right after his father's funeral - an escape he very much needed from an ordeal a 23 year old should never have to endure. Upon his return, he raved about the place - a place completely free of what had recently become painful memories and also void of bothersome family members who were dragging those memories to the forefront with increasing frequency. Was I surprised to hear from him that he had decided to move there? Not really. Not based on the solace it seems to have provided him and not based on his repeatedly expressed desire to leave here. I agree that he could have been more forthcoming with friends about his decision instead of blindsiding many but that he didn't shouldn't negate the years of friendship and good times he built while with the Polyphonics. He loved this band and everything that went along with it, he just didn't want anyone to try to talk him out of leaving and make him feel worse and more guilty than he was already making himself feel. There comes a time when people have to do what they feel is best for themselves, with or without the support of their friends. If upon Pat's graduation (are you done yet Pat?) he is/was offered the position he's always wanted but it is/was out of state forcing him to leave the band, would we be criticising him for accepting it rather than remaning here and settling for something else to continue playing with the band? I don't mean to belittle the band in any way by asking this and if Pat were to make the decision to stay in this scenario, great - as long as it was HIS decision. Frankly, I didn't want Jon to make such a big move, but I listened to his reasons and his plans and then helped him load up his Blazer before hugging him goodbye. Maybe he'll regret it later. Maybe it'll be the best thing he ever did. Either way, as his family and friend I'm going to support him in his decisions. I would think that those of you who call yourselves either of those names would do the same. - Heather
poncho524
ADMIN OF DOOM!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heather,

i appreciate your post. and i can understand the reasons. but like you said, he wasn't being fair by blindsiding us. if he came to us, we'd be just as understanding... but he didn't... and i cant help but feel a little resentment about that. we were his family too.

and in my defense, i am considering moving out of state... but i've been open about that with everyone. i realize that what i do might affect other people, so i clue them in.

i feel bad it had to happen this way... but thats how it did.

but thank you for the post. it's good to hear he tought about this and confided in you. thanx
Beefer
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is just a little hurt, that's all.
NyQuil Driver
The MADministrator!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I do not want this to become a bash on Jon thread, and I honestly don't think it will. I made an effort not to indicate or point blame at anyone for the break-up of the band on the main webpage (if you read the "dying in a tragic car accident" as a shot at him at all, it wasn't I was just trying to make a joke... although maybe in bad taste... I hope he didn't see it and think that) but since I feel we are all friends here on this forum, although it is a public place, allow me to say this.

I have no resentment (maybe a bit, but very small) towards Jon and I honestly hope things go well for him, Jon's been a good friend to me for many years. That said here are the problems I have with how this went down.

As Pat said, we were almost like a family, and because of that it hurts that he didn't tell us. Like you (Heather) said:

Quote:

Frankly, I didn't want Jon to make such a big move, but I listened to his reasons and his plans and then helped him load up his Blazer before hugging him goodbye.

Well that's a nice thought - but you're from the side of the fence that actually got to hear his reasoning - try to imagine if you hadn't been, not only had he not told you about his reasoning but also if he never told you he was leaving - at all... he just left without a word.

If you think for one second that had I been told I wouldn't help him load up his Blazer then you got me wrong. Christ, I shudder to think of the bar tab I would have rung up by the end of the night from buying him shots at the bar.

You're telling us that if we were friends with Jon then we wouldn't harbor resentment towards him and wish him luck. I say, if we were friends with Jon there is no excuse for him not to tell us.

As far as the money goes, that's tricky. If he didnt' want to tell us he should have moved and then asked for the money and we could send it to him, instead of making up a BS excuse to go there and take money out of our bank with no one knowing. I have no problem with him having the money - that's his share - but the way he handled it was shady.

Finally, I think it sucks that he didn't tell us because you know he'll be back - and I don't mean that as in Texas won't work out I mean as in to visit family and friends again - and it would have been nice to maybe set up one last polyphonics show for the people that want to see us one last time and for our benefit as a band as closure. However that seems unlikely now.

I guess that's all I have to say on the topic. I'm not trying to bash Jon, I'm just explaining how I feel about it, and likely the rest of the band.

Vance

Sic Transit Gloria - Glory Fades - I'm Max Fischer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SivaLuna
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this is happening. I feel so sad about it. I almost, for once, have no words, but I'll try. I'm hoping it will make me feel better.

I have to agree with Justin in that I really did not like the band for a long time either. But you guys were just cutting your teeth and trying to find your sound. I wish I could remember the exact show, but I remember being dragged to a show, somewhere, and it blew my mind. I've been in love with the band ever since.

I actually cannot believe the band did not go further than they did. If you listen to some of the crap on the radio, from corporate garbage with no soul to bands that had heart but were clearly imitating another band, the Polyphonics were above most of it. They had their own sound, and it was great. The music itself was the fifth member of the band, you could just feel its presence at shows. I am having a hard time putting it into words, but I think everyone (hopefully) understands what I'm trying to say. I guess, it just felt right. And sounded right.

I will definitely miss going to shows. I know I didn't go that often, and I have my reasons for that, but believe me I always wanted to go, and when I did I had a ball. I'm so proud of Vance. I'm proud of all of you.

So I'm sad that it's no longer the Polyphonics and fans against the world. I'm sad I'll never hear some of my favorite songs again. I'm sad it had to end in bad way, and there is little hope of the 'last' show. I'm sad you guys didn't take off and go further like you should have. I'm sad that part of my life, and all our lives, is over. I'm sad I didn't get to know the members of the band better. I'm sad Darren and I will never be able to sit in the audience and sing along together anymore. I'm sad Katrina and I won't have dance parties to Say anymore. I'm sad I didn't make more of an effort to get my other friends and coworkers to come to the shows. I'm sad I didn't get to say goodbye to Jon.

I feel like we as the fans didn't do enough to help the band. I don't know if it's true, but I feel like for all the good times they've given me, I should have pushed their CD on more of my friends. I wish we could have all gotten together one night and gathered up all the addresses of the music labels, biggest to smallest, and spent a night together wrapping up your CD's and mailing them out.

I'm serious when I say I honestly thought you guys would, at the least, be a one hit wonder. I thought Say or Make My Day would honestly be on the radio one day. Most of the songs are just so good, it feels like I was just waiting for it to happen.

Well, I guess that's all for now. I don't want to end this post as then it will feel like it really is over now, and I can't bear to think about it yet.

All my love to a truly great band, and family. Thanks for giving us a reason to all come together. I don't think as friends we would all be quite as close without you guys. It may sound cheesy, but thank you for giving us the background music to the best years of our lives.

I will miss it all.

Love Michele
SivaLuna
PolyRockStar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, two more things I forgot to say:

1: About Jon, I don't think anyone was ever MAD at him about wanting to grow as a person and do what is right for him. How can you fault someone for that? I think everyone is hurt that he didn't even say goodbye. No one would be happy at hearing that he wanted to go, but it would have been better if the band could have ended on a high note, and not feel any resentment to anyone. Would they/we have tried to talk Jon out of it? Probably. Because we care about him, and don't want to lose him. But if he knew it was right in his heart, I think he would have accepted our affection with good grace but could still be firm in his resolve to do what he has to do. And then we could have said goodbye, and kept in touch, probably right here.

2: To (mis)quote the Polyphonics themselves: 'you've brought so much joy to this Detroit suburban 'girl'. It's such a beautiful day, I just wish that I could see you play'.

Michele
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index -> Band Stuff All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: